Chocolate Strawberry Pie
- Serves 8
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
250 ml (1 cup) cooking cream (35%)
80 ml (⅓ cup) dark chocolate (70%), melted
1 pie crust, unbaked
450 g (1 lb.) strawberries
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 125 ml (½ cup) strawberry jelly
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, mix the cream with the eggs, sugar, melted chocolate and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Spread the mixture out evenly into the pie crust. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on the counter.
- Cover the pie with strawberries. Use a pastry brush to top the pie with warm strawberry jelly, if desired.
The arrival of summer means strawberries are back on the menu. Between the early crop available starting in mid-June and the autumn strawberries that grow until mid-October, this little fruit can be enjoyed in season for several weeks. To get the full flavour profile, choose berries that are bright red and firm. Strawberries are fragile, so handle them with care. They can easily be kept for 2 to 5 days in the refrigerator.