Gingerbread Yule Log
- Serves 10
- Prep time 40 minutes
- Refrigeration 2 hours
- Cook time 11 minutes
Per serving: Calories 553; Protein 4 g; Fat 34 g; Carbohydrates 60 g; Fibre 1 g; Iron 1 mg; Calcium 44 mg; Sodium 78 mg
If chocolatey Yule logs are not your thing, try this gingerbread and buttercream version! To see the recipe for gingerbread cookies, click here!
- A few store-bought gingerbread cookies
For the batter:
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 25 ml (¼ tsp) baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 ml (½ tsp) cinnamon
- 25 ml (¼ tsp) nutmeg
- 25 ml (¼ tsp) ground cloves
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 60 ml (¼ cup) molasses
- 60 ml (¼ cup) honey
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) melted butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
For the buttercream:
- 375 ml (1½ cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 60 ml (¼ cup) 35% country-style cream
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla
- 750 ml (3 cups) icing sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon zest
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Line a 38 cm x 25 cm (15 in. x 10 in.) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and spices over a bowl. Stir.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks for 3 to 4 minutes, until thickened. Add the molasses, honey and melted butter.
- Use the electric mixer to whip the egg whites in another bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Use a spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Use a spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter onto the baking sheet and even out the surface.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool on a rack for 3 to 5 minutes. Invert the baking sheet onto a damp towel.
- Use the electric mixer to whip the butter with the cream, vanilla, icing sugar and lemon zest for 2 to 3 minutes, until creamy.
- Remove the parchment paper from the cake. Spread half of the buttercream over the whole surface of the cake. Tightly roll up the cake lengthwise. Place the Yule log on a serving tray.
- Use the electric mixer to whip the rest of the buttercream with the maple syrup.
- Decorate the Yule log with the rest of the buttercream and the gingerbread cookies. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.