Santa’s Strawberry Shortcake
- Serves 8
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 50 minutes
Get your aprons ready—you can make these mini Santa delights with your kids!
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) of flour
- 5 ml (1/2 tbsp) of baking powder
- 2,5 ml (1/4 tsp) of salt
- 430 ml (1 3/4 cups) of sugar
- 4 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of lemon zest
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) of softened butter
- 5 ml (1 tsp) of vanilla
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) of milk
- 2 pinches of cream of tartar
- 750 g (about 1 2/3 lb.) of strawberries
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of honey
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of citrus liqueur (like Cointreau)
- 500 ml (2 cups) of 35% whipping cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) of powdered sugar
- White gel icing (like Cake Mate Scribblers Icing)
- Chocolate decorating icing (like Cake Mate)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Use an electric mixer to beat 250 ml (1 cup) of sugar with the egg yolks until light in colour. Stir in the zest, butter and vanilla. Mix for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the flour, alternating with the milk, until evenly mixed.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in the rest of the sugar until stiff peaks form. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold this mixture into the batter.
- Grease a 23 cm (9 in.) springform pan and pour in the batter. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a knife blade inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool on a rack and remove the cake from the pan.
- Set aside 8 large strawberries and slice the rest. Place in a bowl and mix with the honey and citrus liqueur.
- Use an electric mixer to whip the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside 180 ml (¾ cup) of whipped cream for decorating the santas.
- Cut the cake in half horizontally. Spread a third of the whipped cream onto this base layer. Top with the sliced strawberries. Spread another third of the whipped cream over the strawberries and cover with the top layer of cake. Spread the final third of the whipped cream over the top of the cake. Refrigerate.
- Cut the points off of the 8 strawberries set aside in step 7. Use a pastry bag fitted with a round tip to coat the base of the strawberries with the rest of the whipped cream. Top with the strawberry points. Create pompoms and buttons with the white gel, and eyes with the chocolate icing. Place on the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.