Beer-braised Beef and Vegetables
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
1 package (34 g) demi-glace sauce, or beef gravy
500 ml (2 cups) blonde beer
750 g (about 1⅔ lb.) beef, cut into cubes for skewers
375 ml (1½ cups) frozen diced vegetable mix, thawed and drained
60 ml (¼ cup) tomato paste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 mushrooms, quartered
- 1 thyme sprig
- In a pot, dissolve the contents of the demi-glace sauce package in the beer. Bring to a boil.
- Heat the oil in another pot over medium heat. Brown the beef cubes for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the meat onto a plate.
- In the same pot, cook the vegetable mix and the mushroom, if desired, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, bay leaf, the sauce prepared during step 1, and thyme, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Put the beef back into the pot and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Side dish idea
Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
Peel 5 to 6 potatoes and cut them into cubes. Cook the cubes in boiling, salted water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and puree with 125 ml (½ cup) hot milk, 60 ml (¼ cup) grated parmesan and 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh chives, chopped. Season with salt and pepper.