Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes / Reheating time after freezing: 35 minutes
Per serving: Calories 317, Protein 20 g, Fat 9 g, Carbohydrates 39 g, Fibre 3 g, Iron 3 mg, Calcium 307 mg, Sodium 220 mg
A cheesy pasta dish under 400 calories? Oh yes, it is possible!
225g egg noodles
250 ml (1 cup) green peas
1 can of tuna, 170 g, drained
45 ml (3 tbsp) parmesan, grated
180 ml (3/4 cup) fat-free mozzarella, shredded
- 60 ml (¼ cup) butter
- 60 ml (¼ cup) flour
- 750 ml (3 cups) milk
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic, minced
- Cook the noodles al dente in a pot of boiling, salted water. Add the green peas 2 minutes before the noodles finish cooking. Drain.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt the butter in another pot over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the milk and bring to a boil, whisking.
- Add the garlic, green onions, tuna, noodles and parmesan. Season and stir.
- Transfer the ingredients to a 20 cm (8 in) baking dish.
- Let it cool slightly on the counter, and then refrigerate to cool completely. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, sealing the dish so that it is airtight. This dish can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- The night before your meal, let the casserole thaw out in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, remove the aluminum foil and plastic wrap and then put the aluminum foil back over the dish. Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F) and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the centre is hot.
- Remove the aluminum foil and finish cooking for 1 to 2 minutes under the broiler.