- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 7 hours on low heat and 30 minutes on high heat (slow cooker)
180 ml (3/4 cup) of chicken stock
30 ml (2 tbsp) of brown sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) of chili powder
15 ml (1 tbsp) of smoked paprika
1.5 kg (3 1/3 lb.) of pork shoulder roast, bone-in
- 1 onion, chopped
- In the slow cooker, mix the sugar, chili powder, smoked paprika and onion into the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess fat from the pork shoulder.
- Place the pork shoulder into the slow cooker and turn it several times to ensure it is thoroughly coated with sauce. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, until the meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker. Use two forks to shred the pork.
- Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and continue cooking for 30 minutes on high.
- Transfer the pulled pork and cooking juices to airtight containers. Let it cool slightly on the counter, and then refrigerate to cool completely. Place the containers in the freezer.