Orange, Ginger Chicken
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Marinating 15 minutes
- Cook time 14 minutes
Per serving: Calories 257, Protein 21 g, Fat 8 g, Carbohydrates 26 g, Fibre 3 g, Iron 1 mg, Calcium 63 mg, Sodium 763 mg
3 oranges, peeled and cut into wedges + 30 ml (2 tbsp) zest
15 ml (1 tbsp) ginger, minced
15 ml (1 tbsp) chicken seasoning
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 red pepper, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- In a bowl, mix the orange zest, ginger, chicken seasoning, honey, 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil, and garlic, if desired. Pour into an airtight bag. Add the chicken breasts and shake to ensure they are fully coated with the marinade. Remove the air from the bag and seal it. Let marinate for 15 minutes to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, drain the chicken and discard the marinade.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken breasts for 6 minutes on each side, until the chicken is no longer pink in the centre. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
- In the same pan, cook the peppers and the red onion, if desired for 1 to 2 minutes. If desired, add the orange-ginger sauce (see recipe below) and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts and orange wedges to the pan. Heat for 1 minute.
Mix 125 ml (1/2 cup) orange juice with 30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce, 45 ml (3 tbsp) honey, 5 ml (1 tsp) cornstarch, 5ml (1/2 tsp) minced ginger and 80 ml (1/3 cup) orange marmalade. Season with salt and pepper.