Mushroom and Tofu Balls
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 25 minutes
1 block (454 g) firm tofu
1 container (113 g) shiitakes
310 ml (1¼ cups) panko breadcrumbs
60 ml (¼ cup) 2% milk
30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) shallots, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F).
- In the food processor, mix the tofu with the mushrooms, breadcrumbs, milk, soy sauce, shallots, eggs, and garlic if desired, until the preparation has a grainy texture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form 20 balls with the preparation.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning the balls at the halfway point.
- Serve the tofu balls with honey ginger sauce, if desired (see recipe below).
Honey ginger sauce
In a pot, bring 60 ml (¼ cup) of soy sauce, 30 ml (2 tbsp) of rice vinegar, 30 ml (2 tbsp) of honey, 10 ml (2 tsp) of grated ginger and 5 ml (1 tsp) of sesame oil (untoasted) to a boil. Dissolve 15 ml (1 tbsp) of cornstarch in a little cold water and add it to the sauce, whisking. Let simmer for 1 minute over low heat.