- Serves 24 cookies
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Refrigeration 30 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes per baking sheet
Per cookie: Calories 140; Protein 2 g; Fat 5 g; Carbohydrates 22 g; Fibre 1 g; Iron 1 mg; Calcium 26 mg; Sodium 94 mg
- 750 ml (3 cups) flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ground ginger
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 25 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cloves
- 25 ml (1/4 tsp) nutmeg
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 180 ml (3/4 cups) brown sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) molasses
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- Store-bought icing tube
- Sift the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt over a bowl. Add the brown sugar. Stir.
- In another bowl, whip the molasses with the butter, egg and vanilla extract for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm (1/2 po).
- Cut out different shapes from the dough using a variety of cookie cutters. Place the cookies on one or two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake each sheet of cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the sheets from the oven and let cool on a rack.
- Using the icing, decorate the cookies.