Easy Fried Parmesan Squares
- Serves 8 squares
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Refrigeration 3 hours
- Cook time 4 minutes
Flour 250 ml (1 cup)
Milk 430 ml (1¾ cups)
Parmesan, grated 375 ml (1½ cups)
Breadcrumbs 250 ml (1 cup)
Canola oil 2 l (8 cups)
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) butter
- 4 eggs (2 beaten yolks + 2 whole)
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Sprinkle with 125 ml (½ cup) of flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly, without letting the flour brown.
- Pour in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring regularly.
- Add the Parmesan and beaten egg yolks. Season with salt and pepper, and stir. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes over low heat.
- Transfer the prepared ingredients to a 20 cm (8 in.) square baking dish. Smooth out the surface. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Cut the cold Parmesan into eight squares.
- Set out three deep plates. Pour the rest of the flour in the first. Beat the remaining two eggs in the second. Pour the breadcrumbs in the third. Cover the Parmesan squares in flour, dip them in the beaten eggs and coat them in breadcrumbs.
- Heat the canola oil in a large frying pan or deep fryer until it reaches 190°C (375°F) on a cooking thermometer. Fry a few Parmesan squares at a time for 2 to 3 minutes. Dry them on a paper towel.
Side dish idea
Heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Cook 1 chopped onion and 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic, minced for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the contents of 1 can
crushed tomatoes (540 ml). Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 15 minutes over medium-low heat.