Filet Mignon with Fried Onions and Sharp Cheddar
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes
2 litres (8 cups) canola oil
1 onion, cut into thin rings
125 ml (½ cup) flour
4 filet mignons, 180 g (about ⅓ lb) each
100 g (3½ oz.) sharp cheddar, cut into 4 slices
- Heat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer until it reaches 180°C (350°F) on a cooking thermometer. If you are using a pot, watch the oil carefully to ensure it does not overheat and catch fire.
- Mix the onion rings with the flour in a bowl. Shake the rings to remove the excess flour.
- Fry the onion rings in the oil for about 2 minutes, until they are golden-brown and crispy. Dry them on paper towels. Season with salt.
- Melt a little butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Season the filet mignons with salt and pepper. Cook them for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until rare. Set aside on a plate.
- Place one slice of sharp cheddar on each filet mignon. Cover the plate loosely with aluminum foil. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve the filet mignons with the fried onions.
Roasted Tomatoes with Parmesan
Mix 125 ml (½ cup) shredded parmesan cheese, 125 ml (½ cup) panko breadcrumbs and 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried herbes de Provence in a bowl. Cut 2 large tomatoes in half widthwise and place them flesh side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mix on the tomato halves. Bake the tomatoes for 12 to 15 minutes at 205°C (400°F) until golden-brown.