Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 45 minutes
Per serving: Calories – 438; Protein – 44 g; Fat – 12 g; Carbohydrates – 40 g; Fibre – 5 g; Iron – 2 mg; Calcium – 98 mg; Sodium – 1,465 mg
This delicious and hearty recipe for creamy turkey and rice soup is a great way to use up your turkey leftovers.
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) of wild rice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 container of mushrooms (227 g), chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) of flour
- 1.5 l (6 cups) of chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 750 ml (3 cups) of cooked, diced turkey
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of 15% cooking cream
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Rinse the wild rice in a fine strainer under cold water.
- Place the wild rice in a pot and cover with cold water. Cook for 35 to 50 minutes until it is tender without bursting. Drain.
- In another pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir. Pour in the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add the turkey, cream, wild rice and parsley. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.