Honey and Raisin Bagels
- Serves 6 bagels
- Prep time 35 minutes
- Inactive 1 hour
- Cook time 25 minutes
Per serving: calories 241; protein 6 g; fat 6 g; carbohydrates 42 g; fibre 2 g; iron 2 mg; calcium 52 mg; sodium 108 mg
Who doesn’t love the smell of a freshly baked bagel? These honey and raisin bagels will delight your senses as they fill your home with the sweet scent of goldenrod honey. There’s no better way to start your day!
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) quick-rise instant yeast
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) lukewarm water
- 20 ml (4 tsp) vegetable oil
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Délices Érable & Cie goldenrod honey
- 430 ml (1 3/4 cups) flour
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) poppy seeds
- In a bowl, combine the yeast with the water, oil and 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the honey.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt and raisins.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and gradually incorporate the yeast mixture until the dough just comes together.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Lightly grease a large bowl and place the dough ball inside. Cover with a clean, damp tea towel and let rest for 45 minutes in a warm place.
- On a floured surface, divide the dough into six even portions. Roll each portion into a cylinder approximately 1.2 cm (½ in.) in diameter. Slightly overlap the ends and seal with your fingers to form the bagels.
- Place the bagels on a baking sheet, cover with a clean, damp tea towel and let rest another 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add in the remaining honey. Poach bagels three at a time for about 2.5 minutes, turning them halfway through.
- Place bagels on one or two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush the top of each bagel with egg and cover with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack.
Leave a comment