Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Serves 8
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 35 minutes
200 g (about 1/2 lb.) of dark chocolate (70%), cut into pieces
4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
125 ml (1/2 cup) of sugar
60 ml (1/4 cup) of cocoa powder
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) of zucchinis, shredded
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) of flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie water bath.
- In a bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the egg yolks with the sugar, and if desired, the vanilla. Add the cocoa powder, zucchini, flour and melted chocolate. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Clean the electric mixer and whip the egg whites in another bowl until firm peaks form.
- Use a spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the prepared chocolate.
- Grease a round cake pan, 20 cm (8 in.) in diameter, and then pour in the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool.
Side dish idea
Chocolate and Orange Zest Sauce
Bring 125 ml (1/2 cup) of cooking cream (15%) and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of orange zest to boil in a pot. Remove from heat and add 150 g of dark chocolate (70%). Let it melt and stir.