Freezer-Friendly Nanaimo Log Cake
- Serves 15
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Refrigeration 2 hours
- Cook time 12 minutes
Per serving: calories 572, protein 5 g, fat 33 g, carbohydrates 65 g, fibre 4 g, iron 4 mg, calcium 62 mg, sodium 283 mg
Take dessert to the next level with this fusion of two holiday classics: a decadent Nanaimo Log. Try our freezer-friendly log cake recipe, you’ll adore it!
For the cake:
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) flour
- 1,25ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 60ml (1/4 cup) sweetened shredded coconut
- 80 ml (1/3 cups) cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) melted butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) walnut, finely chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Graham crackers, crumbled
For the filling:
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk 2%
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 750 ml (3 cups) powdered sugar
For the icing:
- 300 g (about 2/3 lb.) 70% dark chocolate, cut into pieces
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter, softened
For the decorations (when ready to serve):
- 900g (about 1/2 lb.) store-bought Nanaimo bars
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Grease a 38 cm x 25 cm (15 in. x 10 in.) baking sheet and then line it with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt, baking powder, coconut and cocoa.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs. Gradually incorporate the sugar. Add the vanilla and beat for 5 to 7 minutes, until the batter is thick and light in colour.
- Use a spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Gradually add the melted butter, walnuts and graham cracker crumbs, stirring.
- Pour the batter onto the baking sheet and even out the surface. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and turn the cake over onto a towel. Let cool, then carefully remove the parchment paper. Let cool completely.
- In a bowl, whisk the pudding mix with the milk for a few seconds.
- Add the butter and gradually incorporate the icing sugar, stirring until smooth.
- Spread the filling over the cake in an even layer.
- Tightly roll the cake up lengthwise to form an even cylinder. Place the log on a plate, seam down. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie water bath or in the microwave. Add the butter and stir until melted. Let cool.
- Use a spatula to ice the log. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place the log in a large airtight container. Place the container in the freezer.
The night before the meal:
- Let the log thaw out in the refrigerator.
When ready to serve:
- Cut the Nanaimo bars into pieces. Place the log on a serving plate and decorate it with the Nanaimo bars.