Santa Claus is going to love this recipe: delicious sugar cookies that you can decorate however you like. Leave a few on the kitchen table with a tall glass of milk as a treat for Santa when he swings by on Christmas Eve!
- 2 sticks Becel salted margarine (250 ml – 1 cup)
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 750 ml (3 cups) flour
For the icing:
- 750 ml (3 cups) icing sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Food colouring, as desired
- Sprinkles, as desired
- Use an electric mixer to whip the margarine with the sugar for 2 to 3 minutes. Whip in the eggs and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, mixing at low speed.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls. Wrap each ball of dough in plastic wrap, then flatten the balls into disks. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disk of dough to a thickness of about 3 mm (⅛ in.).
- Cut out different shapes from the dough using a variety of cookie cutters. Place the cookies on two or three baking sheets lined with parchment paper. If the dough becomes too soft, place it in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Bake each sheet of cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Remove the sheets from the oven and let cool on a rack.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the icing.
- Use a pastry bag to decorate the cookies with icing.