Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Serves 8
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 28 minutes
Per serving (with icing): Calories 389, Protein 7 g, Fat 23 g, Carbohydrates 42 g, Fibre 3 g, Iron 2 mg, Calcium 79 mg, Sodium 80 mg
Chocolate cake is always a winning strategy for satisfying a sweet tooth!
45 ml (3 tbsp) cocoa powder
125 ml (½ cup) flour
1 packet (7 g) unflavoured gelatin
375 ml (1½ cups) 15% cooking cream
150 g (⅓ lb) semi-sweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Using an electric mixer, whip the eggs with the sugar until the mixture lightens in colour.
- In another bowl, mix the cocoa powder with the flour. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the first mix, stirring until evenly mixed throughout.
- Pour the batter into a 20 cm x 10 cm (8 in. x 4 in.) loaf pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool. Gently remove the cake from the pan and then put it back in.
- In a bowl, mix the gelatin with 60 ml (¼ cup) of water. Let bloom for 5 minutes.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a pot over medium heat. Remove the pot from the heat as soon as the cream starts to simmer. Add the chocolate pieces and orange zest if desired. Stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Heat the gelatin for 15 seconds in the microwave and then add the melted chocolate. Let cool.
- Pour the prepared mix into the pan (the cake will rise to the surface). Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove carefully from the pan.
Orange Chocolate Hazelnut Icing
Use an electric mixer to whip ½ package of cream cheese (125 g), softened, with 60 ml (¼ cup) chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella) and 15 ml (1 tbsp) orange zest.