- 250 ml (1 cup) basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 pinch of salt
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) roasted sesame seeds
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) chopped green onions
- 2 litres (8 cups) vegetable oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 bag (200 g) of Haiku gluten-free Panko
- 450g (about 1lb) skinless chicken breasts, cut into small strips
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil, not toasted
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped garlic
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped ginger
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock, low sodium
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) soy sauce, low sodium
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) rice vinegar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) hoisin sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sriracha sauce
- 20 ml (4 tsp) cornstarch
- In a pot, put the rice, 500 ml (2 cups) water and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook 18 to 20 minutes at low heat. Remove from the heat and let sit.
- During this time, heat the sesame oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Cook the garlic and ginger for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Mix cornstarch with a little cold water, whisk into the sauce. Let simmer 1 to 2 minutes until desired thickness.
- In a fryer or in a large pot, heat the oil at medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 180 °C (350 °F). If a pot is being used, be careful to watch the oil in order to make sure that it does not overcook and ignite.
- Prepare three deep plates. In the first, pour the flour. In the second, beat the eggs. In the third, pour the breadcrumbs. Cover the chicken strips in flour, dip in the beaten eggs, and coat in breadcrumbs. Dip the chicken strips again in the eggs, and again in the breadcrumbs in order to have ultra-crispy chicken.
- Fry a few chicken strips at a time in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes each.
- Distribute the rice and the plates. Add the crispy chicken. Pour the sauce on the chicken, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.