Indian-Style Roast Chicken
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 50 minutes
60 ml (¼ cup) light coconut milk
45 ml (3 tbsp) fresh parsley, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp) turmeric
15 ml (1 tbsp) ginger, minced
1 whole chicken, 1.5 kg (3 1/3 lb)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F).
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together except the chicken and the bay leaf.
- Rub the chicken with the prepared ingredients. Season with salt. Insert the bay leaf into the chicken, if desired. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the temperature of the thickest part reaches 83°C (180°F) on a cooking thermometer. At the halfway point, remove the aluminum foil, and add the vegetables (see recipe below) to the pan, if desired.
Side dish idea
Chop 1 onion and cut 8 Brussel sprouts in half. Peel 4 carrots and 4 parsnips and slice them in half, lengthwise. Mix the vegetables with 1 sprig of thyme, 1 sprig of rosemary, 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil, 5 ml (1 tsp) piri piri seasoning and salt to taste. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 205°C (400°F).