Maple Grilled Tofu Quinoa Salad
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Marinating 30 minutes
- Cook time 17 minutes
- 125 ml (½ cup) maple syrup
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lime juice
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) sambal oelek
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Press the tofu to drain it and cut it into 2 cm (¾ in) slices.
- In a bowl, mix the sesame oil with the maple syrup, and the sambal oelek, if desired. Transfer half of this marinade to another bowl and set aside.
- Place the tofu slices in the first bowl. Cover and let marinate for 30 minutes to 5 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place the quinoa and 500 ml (2 cups) of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes over low heat, until the water is absorbed. Transfer to a salad bowl.
- On the barbecue: Cook the tofu slices on a hot, oiled grill for 1 to 2 minutes on each side over high heat.
- On the stovetop: Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the tofu slices for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Cut the tofu slices into cubes.
- Add the pepper, edamame, tofu cubes, and green onions if desired to the salad bowl with the quinoa. Incorporate the lime juice and the rest of the maple syrup marinade. Serve warm or cold.
Side dish idea
Panko Grilled Tomatoes
Cut 4 Italian tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place on a paper towel, cut side down, to drain the excess juice. In a bowl, mix 125 ml (½ cup) panko breadcrumbs with 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped parsley, 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped cilantro, 1 minced garlic clove and 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil. Season with pepper. Place the tomato halves on an aluminum plate, cut side up. Cover with the breadcrumbs mixture. Cook on the barbecue for 15 to 20 minutes on medium-high heat with the cover down, or in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes at 205°C (400°F).