Zucchini Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 17 minutes
450 g (1 lb) of medium ground beef
250 ml (1 cup) of frozen diced vegetable mix, thawed and drained
1 can (798 ml) of crushed tomatoes
60 ml (1/4 cup) of tomato paste
2 large zucchinis
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Italian seasoning
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook the ground beef for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
- Add the mixed vegetables and garlic. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and sugar, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Stir. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering, use a spiralizer or peeler to cut the zucchini into spaghetti noodles.
- Cook the zucchini spaghetti in a pot of boiling, salted water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until al dente. Drain.
- Divide the zucchini spaghetti onto plates and top with meat sauce.
Mix it up
Make the recipe with other vegetables
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s easy to mix it up! Just replace the zucchini with root vegetables like carrot, turnip or even daikon (Japanese radish). Butternut squash is also a great option. No matter which vegetable you choose, it should be cooked for 1 to 2 minutes longer than the zucchini, depending on the thickness of the spaghetti, until al dente.