Ice Cream Yule Log
- Serves 10 to 12
- Prep time 35 minutes
- Freezing 3 hours
- Cook time 13 minutes
Per serving: Calories 432; Protein 7 g; Fat 26 g; Carbohydrates 47 g; Fibre 3 g; Iron 2 mg; Calcium 103 mg; Sodium 86 mg
This ice cream Yule log recipe is a must for simple and tasty Christmas celebrations!
- 1 l (4 cups) vanilla ice cream, softened
- 350 g (about ¾ lb.) strawberries
- Chocolate shavings to taste
For the cake:
- 180 ml (¾ cup) flour
- 125 ml (½ cups) cocoa
- 1,25 ml (¼ tsp) baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 180 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 1,25 ml (¼ tsp) vanilla
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
For the icing:
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% cooking cream
- 170 g (about ⅓ lb.) semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line a 38 cm x 25 cm (15 in. x 10 in.) baking sheet with plastic wrap, letting the wrap hang over the two short ends of the sheet. Spread the ice cream on the sheet in an even layer. Freeze for 2 to 3 hours.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the eggs with the sugar for 8 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is creamy and forms a ribbon. Add the vanilla and oil.
- Use a spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Line a 38 cm x 25 cm (15 in. x 10 in.) baking sheet with parchment paper, and pour the batter onto the baking sheet. Smooth out the surface.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the cake over onto a towel. Let cool.
- Remove the parchment paper from the cake.
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and let the ice cream soften for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Lift the plastic wrap to remove the ice cream from the baking sheet, and turn it over onto the cake. Gently remove the plastic wrap. Tightly roll up the cake lengthwise.
- Place the Yule log on a serving tray. Cover and freeze for 1 to 2 hours.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a pot over medium heat. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the butter.
- Pour the chocolate icing over the Yule log. Place in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Top with strawberries and chocolate shavings before serving.