Sugar Fudge Yule Log
- Serves 10 to 12
- Prep time 35 minutes
- Refrigeration 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Cook time 13 minutes
Per serving: Calories 556; Protein 5 g; Fat 30 g; Carbohydrates 70 g; Fibre 1 g; Iron 1 mg; Calcium 94 mg; Sodium 67 mg
To see the recipe for Sugar Fudge, click here!
For the cake:
- 180 ml (¾ cup) flour
- 25 ml (¼ tsp) baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 180 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 25 ml (¼ tsp) almond extract
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
For the filling:
- 250 ml (1 cup) butter, softened
- 125 ml (½ cup) maple sugar
- 750 ml (3 cups) icing sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) dulce de leche
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) molasses
For the icing:
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) dulce de leche
- 125 ml (½ cup) 40% crème fraîche
For the decoration:
- 125 g (about ¼ lb.) sugar fudge, cut into pieces
- 125 ml (½ cup) pecan, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the eggs with the sugar for 8 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is creamy and forms a ribbon. Add almond extract and oil.
- Use a spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Line a 38 cm x 25 cm (15 in. x 10 in.) baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the batter onto the sheet. Smooth out the surface.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and invert the cake on a towel. Let cool.
- Use the electric mixer to whip the butter with the maple sugar, icing sugar, vanilla and dulce de leche until creamy. Transfer half of the mixture to another bowl. Add the molasses to the second bowl. Refrigerate both bowls for 30 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper from the cake. Spread the entire surface of the cake with the filling from the first bowl, then with the molasses filling from the second bowl. Tightly roll up the cake lengthwise. Place on a serving tray. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- In a bowl, mix the dulce de leche with the crème fraîche.
- When ready to serve, pour the dulce de leche and crème fraiche icing over the Yule log. Decorate with the sugar fudge and pecan pieces.