Mini Crab Cakes
- Serves 12 mini crab cakes
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 3 minutes
Per serving (1 mini crab cake): Calories 112, Protein 7 g, Fat 6 g, Carbohydrates 8 g, Fibre 0 g, Iron 0 mg, Calcium 18 mg, Sodium 151 mg
Bite-sized snacks that are made—and devoured—in a flash!
300 g (⅔ lb) crab meat, chopped
125 ml (½ cup) mashed potatoes
3 small eggs
375 ml (1½ cups) panko breadcrumbs
2 l (8 cups) canola or peanut oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon zest
- In a bowl, mix the crab meat with the mashed potatoes, 1 egg, and the dill and lemon zest, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Form 12 small cakes, using about 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the prepared ingredients for each. Set aside in a cool place.
- Prepare two bowls. Beat the remaining two eggs in the first bowl. Pour the panko breadcrumbs into the second bowl. Dip the mini crab cakes into the eggs, then coat them in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a pot or deep fryer until it reaches 180°C (350°F) on a cooking thermometer. Fry the mini crab cakes for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden-brown. Drain them on paper towels.
Side dish idea
Lemon Chives Aioli
In a bowl, mix 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil mayonnaise with 3 minced garlic cloves, 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice and 30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped chives. Season with salt and pepper.