Jam Pinwheel Cookies
- Serves 24 cookies
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Refrigeration 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes
Per cookie: Calories 231; Protein 3 g; Fat 10 g; Carbohydrates 34 g; Fibre 1 g; Iron 1 mg; Calcium 7 mg; Sodium 99 mg
- 810 ml (3¼ cups) flour
- 5 ml (½ tsp) baking powder
- 25 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) margarine or butter, softened
- 375 ml (1½ cups) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon zest
- 250 ml (1 cup) strawberry or raspberry jam
- 60 ml (¼ cup) sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whip the margarine with the sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add the eggs and lemon zest. Mix until smooth throughout.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until a ball of dough forms. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide the ball of dough in half. Roll out each section of the dough into a rectangle, 33 cm x 23 cm (13 in. x 9 in.). Spread the jam over the full surface of the dough rectangles. Tightly roll up the dough lengthwise to make two uniform cylinders.
- Place the sprinkles on a plate. Roll the dough cylinders in the sprinkles, pressing lightly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut each roll into 12 thin slices.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool on a rack.