Caramel and Chocolate Cookies
- Serves 14 cookies
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 12 minutes
Per cookie: Calories 233; Protein 3 g; fat 12 g; Carbohydrates 29 g; Fibre 1 g; Iron 1 mg; Calcium 26 mg; Sodium 92 mg
This caramel and chocolate cookie recipe is perfect for a day of holiday baking with the kids. Get creative and replace the M&M’S with your favourite chocolate candy!
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) quick-cooking oats
- 5 ml (½ tsp) baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) margarine or butter, softened
- 180 ml (¾ cup) brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 125 ml (½ cup) caramel chips
- 125 ml (½ cup) M&M’S or other chocolate candy
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the oats, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the softened margarine with the brown sugar until creamy. Add the vanilla and egg. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Add the caramel chips and stir.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, form 14 cookies, using about 30 ml (2 tbsp) of batter for each, leaving 5 cm (2 in.) of space between each cookie. Top the cookies with the M&M’S.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool on a rack.