Berry Upside-Down Cake
- Serves 10
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 40 minutes
- 10 ml (2 tsp) cornstarch
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Grease a round baking dish, 20 cm (8 in) in diameter.
- In a bowl, mix 125 ml (½ cup) of sugar with the frozen berries and cornstarch. Pour the ingredients into the baking dish.
- In another bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and with the poppy seeds, if desired.
- In a third bowl, cream the butter together with the rest of the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla. Gradually add in the dry ingredients.
- Distribute the batter into the baking dish and even out the surface.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let cool on the counter for 5 to 6 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate.
Stock up on fresh fruit!
Stock up on fresh fruit while it’s in season or on sale and freeze it for later use. Place your fruit on a baking sheet in a single layer, then place it in an airtight bag and put it in the freezer. This will ensure that the fruit doesn’t stick together. Once frozen, make your own fruit mixes to prepare tasty smoothies or delicious upside-down cakes!