Maple and Dijon Chuck Roast
- Serves 6 to 8
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 8 hours (on low)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) thyme, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) rosemary, chopped
- Trim the roast by removing the excess fat.
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or a casserole dish over medium heat. Sear the roast for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the onion rounds on the roast.
- In a bowl, mix the stock with the maple syrup, mustard, and herbs if desired. Pour this mix onto the roast.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low heat, until the meat shreds easily with a fork.
Side dish idea:
Stuffed Potatoes au Gratin
Place 6 to 8 unpeeled potatoes in a pot. Cover the potatoes with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and then cook for 18 to 20 minutes, until tender. Cut off the top third of the potatoes and spoon out the flesh, taking care not to pierce the peel. In a bowl, mix the flesh with 8 strips of cooked bacon, chopped, 3 green onions, chopped, and 60 ml (1/4 cup) of sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the emptied potatoes with the mixed ingredients. Sprinkle with 125 ml (1/2 cup) of shredded cheddar. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Brown in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 205°C (400°F).